Saturday, 31 December 2016

16th Year of the 21st Century

December 31, 2016

Dear 2016,

Truth be told, you have been a blur. You passed by so quickly I barely remember all the things you did to me and for me. What I do remember are several things I gained from you. 

You've been the year when I rediscovered myself. You've put me in situations where I'd find out what I should and would do - and most of the time, they're not the same thing. In those situations would I find out that I'm braver that I thought, stronger than I imagined, but at the same time fearful of what's happened. I'd be honest with you, I hated to be in the struggling situations you've put me in. I found myself in an avenue where I don't know which street to go to. You've put me in a position where I'd actually ask someone for directions to get to the path where I should be in - given that I'm a woman who rarely swallows her pride. You gave me responsibilities I wasn't ready for. Most importantly, you made me recognize fears I'd never imagine having - at this age.

2016, I'd like to apologize to you. I'm sorry because the year has passed by quickly and I haven't lived up to some of my promises a year back. I'm sorry that I wasted some of the months you've been generous enough to give me. I'm sorry that, at a time, I became a person who dreads having you to come instead of being thankful that you're passing by. I'm sorry for the times I hated you for putting me in situations where I'd give up and cry instead of making myself stronger. I'm sorry that for the year that's gone by, I only remember the hard and tough moments instead of the really good ones. 

Most importantly, I'd like to thank you. Thank you for letting me experience having you around. Thank you for giving me the chance to live the moments you've brought to me. I know you've given me some tough ones but I know that you're only after my own good. Thank you for making me stronger and more responsible. Thank you for letting me rediscover my passion and strength. Thank you for the friends who are constant all throughout the year. Thank you for the family you give me. Thank you for the laughs that I'll always hold dear. Thank you for the cries that I'd like to forget but I won't because it's what makes me human. Thank you for putting my feet on the ground. Thank you for making me feel the taste of defeat; thank you for giving me a chance to win. Thank you for giving me the mind to realize my mistakes and make courageous decisions. Thank you for teaching me to win everyday, never give up, and that the best days are yet to come.

I'm grateful for you, 2016. Thank you for passing by. 

Truly yours, 

Ma. Mikaela V. Buntan

No comments:

Post a Comment